Thursday, March 31, 2011

Nurse Guinness

Oh Oh. It's Guinness. I get home from my walk and this calf is in the house. Old man winter won't go away. The little calf fell down and got way too cold.
Everyone knows I help with the calves each Spring. My human dad said it is really rare for a dog to help so much with the calves, remember? He said that is what makes me so special.


My human dad has to rub the calf for hours. I sit close by and help keep the little bull warm. I lick him and nuzzle him to try and make him come around.


Then my human mom takes a turn. She rubs him hard with a towel and uses her hairdryer to warm him up. It takes a long time and a lot of work.


My human dad makes a fire and puts the baby calf right over top of the heat duct. Finally the calf starts to shiver. That is a very good sign. That means his body temperature is coming back up, and the circulation is going back into his extremities!


The humans are tired and go for a nap while the calf lies on the heat duct. I stay with the calf the entire time. Later on, I go get the humans and wake them up. WOOF WOOF I say! The calf has his head up WOOF WOOF! GET UP GET UP GET UP! His ears are perky and his eyes are bright! WOOF WOOF!


The little calf made it! Now he is back with his mom in a cozy nursing pen. He drank some warm milk.


In the short video below you can see me helping and kissing the calf! And look at the sweet little bull! I think he is smiling in this picture--what do you think?

24 comments:

  1. you are a good nurse Guinness...what a cute little calf...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the best nurse ever. What would the little baby have done without you. That was a very happy making story.

    Slobbers,
    Mango

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just stinkin' sweet! Guiness you are such a good cow nurse! Is that in your AKC breed description?

    Wiggles,
    Calhoun

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww good job Guinness!
    That calf is SO sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a big smile you put on my face this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Guinness, we are so proud of you for helping that sweet little calf. We bet you made your humans very happy.

    Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh Guinness...I always knew you were a special doggie. This just proofs it. Good boy!

    wags, wiggles & slobbers
    Murphydog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Makes me about cry. This is why dogs and Guinness are SO special. A little piece of g.o.d. in d.o.g.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awwww Guinness yer a fine nurse you are. What did Maggi do whilst you were nursing yer calf?

    Mommy does fer sure like these happy making stories! thank you...

    Bobo and Meja

    ReplyDelete
  10. We could use a dog like you to help with our calves.

    XOXO
    Lilly, Piper, Carrleigh and Ruairi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh thank you everyone--i thought everyone would enjoy this post! Guinness is a remarkable dog, he can almost talk. Maggi went and laid down and slept for the afternoon. She had a long adventure outdoors that day. Whenever life gets to be a bit much for her she just goes to her quite spot and lays down for a while. She didn't take much pass of the calf--i think she was confused and didn't really understand what was going on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww Guinness! You're so great!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh, Guinness, you are such a sweet boy! I might have to share this with a few of our friends.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dr. Guiness on the spot!! What a sweet boy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, Guinness! That brought tears to Mom's eyes!!! You are the BESTEST nurse EVER! Way to go! You (and your bipeds) saved that little guy's life!!!
    Play bows,
    Zim

    ReplyDelete
  16. Guiness that is amazing, you helped save his life. I'm so proud of you! What a great story.

    Nubbin wiggles,
    Oskar

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aww Guinness! So sweet!
    Does the calf from last year remember you for nursing him back to health?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Guinness, you are such a great nurse. We remember that picture of you with the little calf last year. You are very special to help those little animals.

    XXXOOO Daisy, Kendra & Bella

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Guinness!
    Wow, you are amazing! Really! I love these pix and the video is wonderful. You are super sweet to offer licks and nuzzles to the critters in need. You are like their guardian angel! Very, very nice.
    Grr and a Smiley Woof,
    Sarge, COP

    ReplyDelete
  20. Guinness!
    You are the best!
    I am happy to see the calf is doing so well.
    Kisses and hugs
    Lorenza

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my, Guinness, nothing I love as much as a happy ending and you and your family provided a doozy here!
    Everyone is especially proud of you for, once again, looking after a helpless calf!

    Kisses,
    Stella

    ReplyDelete
  22. That was awesome! I know how much those little calvies are worth all grown up---you gotta keep them alive!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my goodness, Guiness - am just catching up with your posts (finally!) and I LOVE this one!! Oooooh - you know Hsin-Yi has a thing for cows in general? And especially calves! She thinks they are the most gorgeous thing ever! (she also thinks I remind her of a calf - can you believe it??) - and that little bull in your video is just ADORABLE! We love his enormous eyes and long, long eyelashes! So happy that he recovered and was reunited with his mummy!

    Slobbers,
    Honey the Great Dane

    ReplyDelete